Sunday, April 10, 2011

Dr. Pepper Crock Pot Ribs

I promised a Sweet Baby Ray masterpiece last night... This definitely will not disappoint!

We had our "handy-man" friend over yesterday helping Bobby out on a list about 100 items long that I made for them.  The important one to me was getting the sprinkler system de-winterized and a-flowin' because these plants are not going to water themselves.  We just moved to this house in November making this our first go around with this system.  And ultimate fail... the boys located the valves and had it turned on when a humongous size of Old Faithful at Yellowstone geyser erupted from the middle of our yard.  No joke.  For the first 15 seconds it was beautiful... and then I realized how much water costs in this town and it was no longer beautiful but money escaping from the ground.  (Side note: this photo is in January.  Not now.  Do not worry... we were not turning on the sprinkler system with snow on the ground.  I haven't taken any new pictures of the house but will.  Maybe today.)  (Next side note: Yes Bobby is wearing shorts in the middle of January.)


But the 99 other items did get completed on the list I made them and I paid their hard work with a slab of ribs.  My Dad raves about these ribs him & my Mom make in the crockpot.  I've never had a chance to try them so I took my Dad's word for it and asked for the recipe. I mean really who doesn't love crockpot recipes.  I was able to get everything going at about 1pm and then spend the next 5 hours shopping for new furniture, drinking coffee at Starbucks and perusing every item in the Hobby Lobby store.

There's a few steps to this recipe so follow along.

Step One: Create the rub.

For 5 lbs of meat, here is what I would mix up:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
4 tbsp Onion Powder
2 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Thyme
1 tbsp Ground Mustard
1 tbsp Garlic Sea Salt
1 tbsp Black Pepper
1/2 tbsp Chili Powder


Step Two: Rub your ribs.

Grab your ribs from the fridge.  I have 2 - 2.5 lb slabs and used the pork back ribs.  My parents have used country ribs also and since it's all going into the crock pot really any ribs choice will be fine.



Take the rub and liberally rub into the meat.  You can kinda do a massaging motion and this will help work the spices into the meat.


Step Three: Ribs into the Crockpot & Take them for a Dr. Pepper Swim

I cut the ribs into 4-rib sections.  Run your hand under the meat until you are between the 4th & 5th rib and using kitchen shears cut the ribs apart.  You will end up with about 3-4 sections of ribs per slab.  Layer these into the crockpot.


At this point in the recipe is when my Dad and I had a philosophical conversation about his three daughters and our love of a good cold beer or a glass of wine.  I don't what gave him this impression... it couldn't be this fish I made or these marinated steaks, could it?  My Dad recommened using beer to cover the meat.  Him and my Mom use beef stock.  After a good twenty minute discussion, we decided on Dr. Pepper.


The essential move for crockpot cooking is to have enough liquid to cover whatever it is your crocking.  I used 4 cans of Dr. Pepper.  Three probably would have been enough.  But as you can see in the next picture I had a few ribs poking up out of the Dr. Pepper swimming pool so I added one more to make 4.


Step Four: Get the Crockpot fired up.

We want to crock the ribs in the Dr. Pepper for two hours at the highest setting.  At this point, grab your credit card and head to Target and Hobby Lobby and the furniture store.  The nice part about this is you need to be home in 2 hrs so you're spending will be time-limited.

Step Five: Add BBQ sauce.

I forgot what to at this point and had to call Chef Dad back up.  Before I called I had removed the ribs from the liquid (which you do not have to do). Mmmm.... meat.


To replace some of the liquid that has cooked off, we will add about 4 cups of Sweet Baby Ray BBQ.  Yes, it must be Sweet Baby Ray BBQ and 1 cup of honey to the crock pot.  Keep the crockpot on high and crock for 2 more hours.


Step 6: Remove ribs from crockpot.  Grab your hand model and cover those bad boys in some more sweet baby ray.

Ribs out of crock pot.  Hold yourself back.  They will be oh so more delicious if you wait for the Baby Ray's to get added on.  It's hard I know... but you can do it!

At this point, I asked for Bobby's help.  Our friend Aaron has now learned that I "blog" after three days of watching me take dinner and take pictures.  He thinks it's funny.  Why in the world people go on the internet to read what you eat for dinner?  Good question Aaron... no idea.  Anyways, when I asked for Bobby's help, Aaron was giving him such a hard time that he better go comb his hair or change his shirt since he was going to be on "the blog".  Those boys.. I'm telling you... it's like watching the movie Stepbrothers unfold before my eyes.  Okay, so grab your hand model and have him pour some Sweet Baby Ray on each slab of ribs.



 Grab your kitchen brush and brush the BBQ over each rib.


 Oh my, do those look good.  I served these with grilled corn on the cob and southern-style beans.  We also had a mango-red onion salad with poppyseed dressing.  I will share both of those recipes at a later date.


Amazing.  You won't regret making these.  You will just regret you only made two slabs when you should have made six!  Definitely will be a re-make in our house.

Grab some paper towels and dig in!

3 comments:

  1. your dad is the best !

    ReplyDelete
  2. my dad is the best!

    i used root beer to make pulled pork once. i think the crock pot really intensifies the flavor. it turned out quite good. i'll have to try the dr. pepper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound like heaven. And my husband is a huge Dr. Pepper addict so I'm sure he will love these. I am missing some of the ingredients for the rub like the ground mustard and the onion powder but my husband hates mustard and onions so it might be for the best. (Not that he'd even notice the mustard or the onion).

    Keep making yummy recipes. I plan on using them when I lack ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete